Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Welcome!


Welcome to my blog. As the title suggests, I’m interested in exploring things that used to be, but aren’t around anymore. These things can be places, like Benson’s Animal Farm, or things, like 8-Track players. I’m open to guest posts, contact me if you want to tell us about something you like that isn’t there anymore. Thanks for noticing me!

To kick off, here's a picture from Whalom Park:



This is my daughter, Annie, age two. This photo was taken in 1995. Whalom Park was an amusement park on the shores of Lake Whalom in Lunenburg, Massachusetts. According to Wikipedia, it was in existence from 1893 to 2000. When I was a kid, growing up in Hollis, New Hampshire, we went to Whalom Park all the time. My father worked for Sanders, another something that isn't there anymore, and the company outings were often held at Whalom Park. This picture was actually taken on a Sanders outing. Whalom Park had the usual assortment of rides, including a fabulous wooden rollercoaster called the Flyer Comet that probably started my own love for wooden coasters. There was a great Merry-Go-Round, a Tilt-A-Whirl, a fabulous Funhouse, mini golf, a small gauge railroad, all the usual stuff. The Cars filmed the video for Touch and Go at Whalom Park. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX890A_AYqk

Here's a link to the start of a history site for Whalom Park:

http://whalompark.com/

That's it for my first post. Please add comments if you remember Whalom Park, and remember, I'm looking for guest bloggers to talk about things that aren't there anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment