Saturday, February 12, 2011

Crazy Teepee


Welcome back! This week I’m reminiscing about The Crazy Teepee, formerly of Milford, NH. This place was sort of an indoor flea market, a giant second-hand store that sold almost anything. It was a house, with attached outbuildings, and it went on forever. Stuff was stacked floor to ceiling, and some of it was downright odd. Ancient electronic appliances filled one room. Another room was loaded with glass. I remember trunks and toyboxes in the cellar (I still have a tack trunk made from an old toybox I bought there.) One room was filled with ski boots. Old ski boots. There were several rooms of clothing, maybe sorted by size. My favorite section, and I call it a section because I’m pretty sure there was more than one room, was the books. If I recall, there were possibly three rooms of books, one leading off the other in a rabbit warren of paperbacks and old hardcovers. Shelves and shelves of books. I bought paperback Mad Magazine collections, old detective novels, old horse books, anything I could afford. I can still smell those rooms of books, that old sort of musty papery scent. I was never that fond of being dragged off to flea markets, and this happened a lot when I was a kid, but I remember enjoying the Crazy Teepee. I actually liked going there. I heard it burned to the ground, no big surprise. Still, it’s one of those places I wish I could take my kids to. I can imagine my son poring over the Mad collections with the same delight I felt. Anybody else ever visit the Crazy Teepee?

Picture from MilfordPictures.com

6 comments:

  1. I love the concept; as we grow older (not you, of course, but the rest of us) so many things Aren't There Any More. And we are fortunate, I think, to have photographs. But more fortunate, I know, to have lovely descriptions like yours, which take us there with all the senses engaged. Thank you, even though I've never been there... I feel like I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to go to the Crazy Teepee as a kid. I now have moved back to the area and went looking for it but could not find it. I am sorry it burned down. But it was a great place for books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I not so fondly remember that the ultimate insult in Junior High School was to insinuate that your unfashionable clothing was purchased at the Crazy Tepee or Louie's Variety. The Tepee was pretty cool, I can remember being so broke and buying car tires at the Tepee so my crappy car would pass inspection. It didnt pass, the tires were the least of my problems....

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was ab kid, It was a big treat to go to the Crazy Tepee. I am not sure if I actually went through every room, The book room was my favorite. We need more places like The Crazy Tepee was.I didn't realize it burnt down,Just last year I went looking for it. Are there any pictures of the fire? So sad that it is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does anyone remember that room full of shoes? I feel like each shoe was different, and the floor was like jello, the roof got shorter and shorter, Crazy Tepee was very wonka!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miss the Crazy Tepee. Such a great place to explore, never knew what you would find.

    ReplyDelete